Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What I learned from “The Beatles”……….





This morning on the twenty-minute trip to school I made my son listen to “The Beatles”, and of course I sang along.  As many of you know when I sing the earth tilts just a little more on its axis, not a pretty sound, unless I am in the car alone and then amazingly I sound like Pavarotti.   Since an average Beatles song is less than 3 minutes I was able to fit in a large portion of the early stuff.  I asked him if he knew who they were and he responded with that typical 15 yr old snarky attitude, “yeah I know who they are”, like anyone born in the past 100 years knows who they are dad.

When my brother and I were kids we would go to Auntie De’s and beg her to get out the Beatles records and play them.  For those of you to young to remember records they are a piece of vinyl with sounds smashed into them and you play them on this thing called a record player.  A needle fits in a groove and makes sound come out of speakers attached to the record player.  She always honored our request and we would pull out The Beatle records and dance our ass off.  So “The Beatles” have been a big part of me my whole life.  Auntie De actually got to see them in the early years when girls would pass out just at the sight of them. 

Confession time, everyone has a favorite Beatle, mine is John Lennon.  He was killed during my senior year in high school.  I still get moved when I hear “Imagine”. 

But enough nostalgia and on to what I have learned from the Beatles:

  • ·      I have had therapy and this is as good as it gets so “Love Me Do”. 
  • ·      “From Me To You” if there is anything you want or there is anything I can do let me know. 
  • ·      “She Loves You”, you damn fool we don’t understand it either just go with it. 
  • ·      In your time of need “I Want To Hold Your Hand”. 
  • ·      “Can’t Buy Me Love” unless you dial 1-900 blah blah blah and then its only for 4 minutes or less. 
  • ·      Too much alcohol can make you feel like “A Hard Days Night”, plan accordingly. 
  • ·      I require a “Ticket To Ride” my ass and don’t forget to pull my hair.
  • ·      “Help”, requires you to take action as well, but we all need it from time to time so ask.  
  • ·      “Yesterday” is gone so live in the moment of today.
  • ·      No matter what comes your way “We Can Work It Out” with a little “Help” from “Lady Madonna”.
  • ·      Sometimes you have to get on the “Yellow Submarine” to enjoy “Strawberry Fields Forever”. 
  • ·      We all get lonely like “Eleanor Rigby”, but with great friends it will not last long.
  • ·      Sometimes you have to walk along “Penny Lane” to reach the big payoff. 
  • ·      Everybody now! “All You Need Is Love”, in your greatest time of need.
  • ·      At times people will come into your life and you will need to say “Hello, Goodbye”.  May these times be rare.
  • ·      Remember to “Get Back”, to where you once belonged, your true self. Don’t change to “Please; Please Me”.
  • ·      Life is “The Long And Winding Road “, so take your time and travel the road with integrity. 
  • ·      “I Saw Her Standing There” and I knew she was the one for me. 
  • ·      “Do You Want To Know A Secret”? “With A Little Help From My Friends”, I can do anything.  

I can hardly wait till “When I Am Sixty-Four”, I already have moments when I feel like I am with “Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds”, why is it I can remember most all the words to these songs but I cannot remember what I had for lunch.  But if we take the “Magical Mystery Tour” and avoid the “Helter Skelter” of the “Sargent Peppers Lonely Heart Club Band”,  “We Can Work It Out”. 

So for now I choose not to be “The Fool On The Hill”, I will just “Let It Be” and “Come Together” and “Imagine” what my life and the world can be. 

Know that if you want to be a “Paperback Writer” you can always start with a blog.

Peace to all……….   

3 comments:

  1. Loved it! I laughed, I cried, had all the emotions that writers want to elicit!

    Remember the little square cardboard box the 45s were stored in.

    Good times:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God yes I do......when I see them what I really see is the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite was John Lennon too, Instant Karma my favorite song. Good memories

    ReplyDelete