Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"The Mighty Dinosaurs"

Is it possible to find beauty in a field full of crap?

Early one morning last summer I was on my way to work.  Anyone who lives in Indiana is aware we have two seasons, winter and road construction. This particular story has to do with the road construction season.  I was driving on I465, on the west side of town.  They had been working on this stretch of highway for the last couple of years.  The sun had not broken the horizon yet but the brilliant colors had begun to form in the distance.  I was very close to entering the gauntlet known as the construction zone.  Massive lights on poles indicated the night crew was still hard at work. Coming up and over a hill I could now clearly see the workers and their mighty dinosaurs.  The Excavator Machines, about six or seven, caught my attention with all their movement.  The excavators looked like huge dinosaurs captured and harnessed, now put to work.  I was immediately catapulted back into my childhood, remembering the book “Mike Mulligan and His Seam Shovel”.  These amazing machines were working in unison to remove the old roadway pieces and parts to a new resting ground.  Even in all the destruction these beasts were amazing.  I had never seen so many in one place.  It was if a whole tribe of excavators had landed to devour the road, clearing way for a new path. 

I enjoyed my brief moment to see beauty in a vast sea of crap, before literally laughing out loud.  Immediately following the mighty beasts were rows of port-o-lets, obviously for the workers.  The only thing I could think was how crazy would it be to try and take care of your business in the middle of I465 with cars whizzing by. 

But the true cherry on the cake of the morning was a truck passing me and attached to his trailer hitch were a set of swinging metal testicles.  Who the hell came up with that idea and is it really important we share the sex of our automobile.  All I can say is welcome to Indiana. 

I finished my morning sitting in the parking lot of my office watching the sunrise, remembering that all plants grow better with a little fertilizer.  So yes, you can find beauty in a field of crap. 



2 comments:

  1. You described that moment in time so well I was right there with you. Your blog is some of your best writing.Very thoughtful and insightful. I look forward to more.

    Thanks,

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this like when you are walking in a field and see a pile of manure with a flower growing up out of it?? :-)

    Very nice! You should blog us through a work out at the gym.

    ReplyDelete