Monday, May 24, 2010

Our Little Renaissance Man and The Hilbert Theatre



My son played at the Hilbert Circle Theatre three weeks ago with the school orchestra. For those of you who are not familiar with the Hilbert it is where the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra plays.  I can proudly say, “My son made his debut at and has played the Hilbert”.  It was open seating and my family snagged a private box seat in the middle of the theatre.  I felt like royalty sitting in the fancy armed chairs I could move freely without concern of disturbing the person next to me. The chairs were from another time and the carpet was a bit worn, probably from years of fancy shoes shuffling to the music.  The three-sided enclosure captured the sounds as they radiated throughout the acoustically perfect room.

The presentation was about to begin, and the air was thick with the energy of the families rushing in to claim the perfect seat. The performers entered the auditorium, their chests a little higher and more puffed than normal.  The faint smell of past patrons with a side of snooty swirled in the air. The furnishings were a bit worn against the graceful pretense of the theatre and all the ritual it holds.  The music had finely patina the walls and ceiling leaving just a hint of mysteriousness.

This event would mark several milestones that some day, Carson, my son, would realize were very important.  He would be the only male viola player today in this theatre.  This would be his last and final concert performance of his freshman year and with this orchestra.  He starts a new school next year and will be a part of a different orchestra.  Lastly this is his teacher’s final year with this school.  He really will not understand the sacrifices she has made until he is much older. 

“Time for Three”, a group of three male strings players agreed earlier in the year to mentor this group of children.  They would be joining the orchestra today for this final performance.  Mind you the orchestra teacher hounded them until they agreed, just one of many sacrifices she felt strongly would help her virtuosos. 

The baton flew up and we were off.  The auditorium filled with the sweet sound of years of dedication and hard work by both teacher and student.  The building became part of the orchestra and accompanied them beautifully.  They were exceptional this day and every breath was better than the previous. 

I will never understand why certain pieces of music move me to a point of tears, goose bumps, a racing heart and all while holding my breath.  I love that I can reach this pentacle and stay in the moment.   It is in these moments nothing else matters and the world is on pause.

I have always envied anyone who could play an instrument, what a gift.  Music sets a tone, changes a mood, destroys worlds, brings love when love seems to have gone, can fill you when you are empty, bring joy and change mankind. 
I feel sadness surfacing in me as an orchestra parent takes the microphone; I know she is going to talk about Ms. Ortwine and her resignation.  She has been a part of Carson’s music career since the beginning.  It was she who directed Carson to the viola when he was unable to choose his fifth grade year between the violin and cello.  It was she who pushed him to be his best and always praised him even when he was a bit out of tune.  She loves all these children and it is reflected in her love of music and the gift of music she has bestowed upon this fearless group. 

I could not be more proud of my son.  I love that he can play on the stage of the Hilbert, run cross-country, be a computer geek and all while staying true to himself. He is my little renaissance man. 

In my lifetime I fear we will see music programs evaporate from the schools.  We received word the 5th grade orchestra will no longer exist next year.  How sad for those students and how sad it would have been for Carson to miss such a wonderful opportunity. 

It seems sports programs are always salvaged in lieu of the arts.  I support both, my son has participated in both.  But when they tossed the 5th grade orchestra aside they also include the intramural sports programs, a real sacrifice since there is no real cost associated with these sports programs.  But that is a discussion for a whole other day. 

In short, support the arts in your schools.  Who knows where the next Pavarotti, Yo-Yo Ma, or George Clooney will come from, maybe they are living in your home?  

1 comment:

  1. "The building became part of the orchestra and accompanied them beautifully." Wonderful imagery, Shane.

    What a nice piece and tribute to Carson. I enjoyed:-)

    ReplyDelete